Kickstarter for Unreal Script IDE 2012

Coordinator
Dec 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM

Hi Guys

I have decided to launch Kickstarter for Unreal Script IDE 2012.  This is going to be an open source project. Could you have a look at the preview of the project? If you have any idea or feedback you could leave them here for discussion.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/845617589/1948690055?token=a0455bad

Thanks in advance

Dec 18, 2012 at 4:01 AM

$55K for what exactly though? Just for a port to 2012 or are you going to improve the IntelliSense, or make it also available as an extension? Would be nice if you make the UDK path customizable via the solution settings!

Btw: You should check your article with a spell checker ;)

Coordinator
Dec 18, 2012 at 6:22 AM

I am planning to do everything(?) which I have not done yet. Obviously it will not take a lot of time to port it to 2012 VS Shell, so I have intentionally reserve the time to improve IDE in all parts. So an extension for VS, customization for UDK pathes will be done. And one more thing, the source code (as required by kickstarter) will be available in 100% and it will be compilable from beginning to the end. It will allow to modify code as people like. One more thing which I need to do is rewrite the installer for Unreal Script IDE 2012 because in VS 2012 there is no a standard install project anymore.

So I am planning to finish everything in "Issue trackers" what can be done(what is possible to finish)

Ps. Thx I will check it

Dec 30, 2012 at 1:25 PM
Edited Jan 1, 2013 at 2:03 AM

Let me break it down a little.

One: He wishes to get paid for the work he does (I understand this, and appreciate the work he has done for free for us so far).

Two: Visual Studio has licensing costs.

Personally, though, Alex. I don't know why you didn't decide to actually make it a License based system at a competitively priced (vs. NFringe) cost.

The following is nFringe licensing pricing.

Pricing Options Price (USD)
Indie Single Seat $349*
Unlimited use per seat (3 pack) $3,500
Single Project License $10,000
Studio Site License $30,000
Unlimited Company (multiple site) License Contact Us!

That's their pricing. With what you have you could far undersell and earn a great profit margin with a quality of product as good if not better.

That being said. In order to distribute a product for a cost from something developed in Visual Studio it actually requires a license of Visual Studio to do so I believe VS 2012 Pro is about $499 (USD) if you only buy one seat and one use.

Also remember to avoid distributing any thing WITH your application that is free elsewhere unless it's license says you can do so.

Lastly, 55k is a little high, personally. As annual salary average of programmers in the United States is about 40,000 USD. When converted to GBP that's 24,598.72. Your 55,000 GBP is
89435.50 USD, more than twice the average annual salary of a programmer in the United States.

Anyway, I wish you the best of luck in the endeavor.

Jan 9, 2013 at 9:49 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2013 at 9:57 PM

The kick-starter page is currently pretty bare-bones.

You should probably put more info in there. (Such as any professional experience, licence costs, possible ETA, etc)

I know what the Unreal IDE is, i don't believe the kickstarter page however tells the viewer what Unreal IDE is and how it is different/better than other unreal IDE's and why people should back it.

It also doesn't mention that it's open source (you'd get a boost from /. readers if you can get on their news feed if you mention it's open source).

Needs lots more info, and the screenshots don't really convey anything. Talk about the IDE and it's current features, and what features you would like to bring to the next version.

Also the rewards are currently misleading if it's to be an open source project......

Checkout Double fine as a good example: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/doublefine/double-fine-adventure

Start from the 'Welcome to the Adventure' heading.

You don't really need a video, just much, much more info.

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2013 at 7:22 AM

Thank you facepalmexe,

Coordinator
Jan 11, 2013 at 9:25 AM

I have updated the kickstarter project to bring more info about USIDE project, 

All suggestions and comments are welcome.

Coordinator
Jan 18, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Edited Jan 18, 2013 at 2:42 PM

Hello Guys!

I have just launched my Kickstarter project to gather funds to develop Unreal Script IDE 2012 (which is no fee license and open source project). Now I am looking for supporters and backers for the project. Thanks for support the IDE.

more information about Kickstarter Project - Unreal Script IDE 2012 here - http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/845617589/unreal-script-ide-2012 

Feb 5, 2013 at 7:49 AM
I wish you best of luck with this! Setting price would be good as well, although a little less ridiculous then nFringe ;).