This project is read-only.

Debugger and editor run same game and map with different result

Oct 3, 2012 at 6:25 PM

Hi, for some reason i get different results when playing the same map in the UDK PIE and the Unrealscript ide debugger. The difference is that some custom actors aren't visible in the debugger but they are in the PIE. I can break on the actor and see that it's present and seems to have the same properties as the PIE version with the same mesh, material and position.

I believe the problem occured after I reorganised my packages and change some references to the new archetypes in the code. (the actors that aren't visible are instances of archetypes)

Other meshes seems to be showing fine.

I'm totally stumped as to what might be causing the difference between the Editor and the Debugger but i can assure you that it's the same map,

Any suggestion is helpful, thanks

Oct 3, 2012 at 7:53 PM

there is very difficult to suggest something.

First the debugger just shows the progress of execution. I think in the debugger you use the command line parametes which are different to those which you use in PIE


Oct 3, 2012 at 8:11 PM

Yeah I know it's hard to suggest anything, since it's very unsure what's wrong.I thought about the command line parameters and they are the same.

I was kinda hoping that there was some reset of the IDE or reload of packages that I could do. If not I'll try a clean install of the IDE and see if that works out. I also tried doing a clean full recook in the unreal frontend just for the hell of it.

Oct 4, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Not sure what I expected to happen but a full reinstall of both the udkdevkit IDE and UDK didn't help me.

Hmm I need this to work, I'll tell you if I find a solution.

Oct 4, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Hey I got it to work!

Turns out that a reference in the code to a "PickUp" Archetype cased the difference between the PIE and Debugger.

In the default properties of an "Item" class I assigned the "PickUp" archetype to a PickUp variable which to instance a pickup with the properties of the archetype. With this assignment the Debugger didn't show the meshes of PickUp instances while the PIE did. Without it everything showed up in both PIE and Debugger.

ThePickup ArcheType had a Item variable pointing to an archetype of a childclass of Item. This works fine when the assignment of the PickUp Archetype is done on the item archetype in the editor instead of in the sourcecode for the item.


Strange stuff.

Keep up the good work on the IDE!