Automatically show intellisense

May 28, 2012 at 12:29 PM

If I press ctrl + space it shows the intellisense pop-up which is fine, but it would be much more convenient if it would pop up automatically whenever I start typing something. Similar to what happens when I type "." or "(".

Is this already a hidden option somewhere or is this feature not included (yet)?

Thanks,

Zinggi

Coordinator
May 30, 2012 at 5:29 PM

>> Is this already a hidden option somewhere or is this feature not included (yet)?

it is supported already

May 30, 2012 at 6:12 PM
Edited Jun 13, 2012 at 1:28 PM

Thanks for your answer, but you misunderstood my question.

I know it works when you type ".", "(" or "," and it does on my machine too, but it doesn't when you start typing with something else.

So what I'd like is that the auto-complete dialogue pops up automatically, as soon as I start typing anything. Basically like if I would press ctrl + space after typing the first letter.

I Hope I did express myself clearer this time.

Thanks,

Zinggi

@edit: I edited the wrong shortcut

Jul 24, 2012 at 8:01 AM
Edited Jul 24, 2012 at 8:03 AM

To clarify his request, 

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/fcf2zk43(v=vs.80).aspx

The FIRST thing on there indicates a single character, no matter what, will pop up intellisense (this is how Visual studio sharp series languages currently do it)

For example typing s (with no previous character, or period or ctrl+space) will automatically start showing all functions/classes starting with "s" (that are not a subclass). and isolate as you type more, so for example typing "sim" will automatically pop up intellisense (highlighting "simulated") so really if you want to use it you can type sim and just press tab.

Basically he wants single-character intellisense pop-up.

Now I know you can "start to type" and press ctrl+space and it auto-completes based on it's "best guess". But actually want this feature too. (I've gotten use to it in Visual C#).

Coordinator
Jul 24, 2012 at 2:31 PM

thanks for clarification, I will implement it.

Jul 25, 2012 at 5:58 PM
Edited Jul 25, 2012 at 7:19 PM

Thanks Alex, you're awesome I love this program so much, it's a great free alternative to nFringe and paid for Visual Studio (in fact I honestly think it works better).

Also, my previous post may be slightly misleading, the absolute basest is essentially single character, basically the "(that are not a subclass)" is not entirely accurate. Basically it's just single character intellisense pop-ups (should be an option for it if possible, as some people don't like this kind of feature).

Also created an issue so that this is on the task list.

Aug 3, 2012 at 10:07 AM

Thank you very much Alex, that's awesome!

This will make this tool the very best for unreal script.

(Also thanks to FlyingMongoose for clarifying even further. I'm glad there are other lazy guys like me...)

Oct 23, 2012 at 6:55 AM
Edited Oct 23, 2012 at 6:59 AM

I would personally find this frustrating, and ctrl+Spacebar already does this. (Albeit a tad buggy)

Constantly having intellisense pop up for all of the 'Local int i;'s I have would drive me crazy.

If this MUST be implemented, PLEASE put an option it to switch it off somewhere.

I'm not a lazy coder, and i don't have a need for intelisense every character.

So, to re-iterate: PLEASE, PLEASE, Have an option to kill this feature if you do implement it. (i.e. To how it works currently)

Nov 8, 2012 at 5:20 PM

I was not expecting it to not have the option to enable/disable. As I stated before the 2010 versions of Visual C# (express and otherwise) have intellisense on a per-character updating as you type, but as soon as you go outside existing paramaters it goes away I'm pretty sure monodevelop does too. I find it extremely useful if I find myself using a lot of the same functions (yes I know,, classes help this, but sometimes you don't have that option), and while references and books help, it's nice to go... "Oh.. I think it's..." start to type and go; "Yep, that's what it is!", or you may think "oh i think this function and/or class starts with this character" and be able to type it in and just insert it as soon as you find it in the intellisense list. It's a useful tool but not a requirement and if enabled should have an option.

Dec 1, 2012 at 2:18 PM
Edited Dec 1, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Here, for your reference. The shell does not currently include the "Intellisense" options in the Text Editor options. However, if I understand the way it works, it may be something you can set manually. or provide your own interface to.

Here is an example in Visual C# Express 2010 as you can see when I typed the "p" it brought up the first "p" that showed up in all functions/classes/variables.

I've attempted to start using this feature in nFringe, and honestly nFringe just doesn't sync up quite like this does, this still pulls off the auto-complete quite a bit better than any other Unreal IDE (that claims the feature) I've dealt with so far.

Dec 3, 2012 at 2:19 PM

After a bit more digging, in Visual C# it looks like the options relating to this fall into the vssettings file.

I just don't know how to implement it manually because I don't know the information relevent to the registered package and things of the like, assuming that's all that's necessary to implement this.

Coordinator
Dec 3, 2012 at 2:49 PM

You can't enable this feature manually because VS using "markers" from a parser where to show "Member Select dialog" in editor. So parser should know that on symbols like [ ]  etc it should assign trigger to show "Drop down select box"

Dec 11, 2012 at 3:47 AM

Damn, oh well, just seeing if we had that option... but if we can't for now it's fine. I can still use it as is.