Additional improvements

Jan 30, 2012 at 9:48 PM

Hi Ho,

again I have to say thank you for the tool, it looks really promising :) But there are still a very few things I have in mind that could make it way better to use:

1. When adding a new Script: would it be possible to use given filename of script as classname and maybe if you define the class this script will be extended from (default value "Object" ofc).

2. Deletion of script files (not sure how this is managed internally), but it is annoying if you created a script file, but then notice you dont need it and try to remove. You have to close the IDE, remove the file from disk and restart the IDE (not to mention: same with VS and nFringe)

3. Rename of scripts: see point 2 (nFringe got problems here too)

4. Rename symbols really would be great improvement for refactoring if you change a class variable name, it should be renamed in the entire solution when it is used, or scope based symbol rename of local variables (minor priority, think this isn't that easy and need additional dialogs: reference http://www.wholetomato.com/products/features/rename.asp)

5. Possibility to manage more than one UDK installation / project. Actually I have 4 project running for myself (2 of them less active), and just use USIDE for one of them for testing.

6. ...

I might edit this list if there comes more into my mind, anyway I really appreciate the progress :)

Regards

BlackHornet

Apr 5, 2013 at 1:48 PM
Possibility to manage more than one UDK installation / project.
Only thing preventing this to be my IDE of choice :(
Apr 26, 2013 at 7:56 AM
Edited Apr 26, 2013 at 8:22 AM
rvc wrote:
Possibility to manage more than one UDK installation / project.
Only thing preventing this to be my IDE of choice :(
There is a work-around I posted here:
http://uside.codeplex.com/discussions/356914

Unfortunately the executable which is run seems to be hard-coded into the IDE somewhere.....
Ended up just copy pasting the new EXE and com and renaming them to UDK.*

This is also my biggest complaint with the IDE. :(

To add to the list:

6 . Add ability to run game with extra cmd args/different exe. I develop for mobile, so i have ended up adding all my Run's under external tools with batch scripts to load the correct executable with the correct args. It's just a tad painful. That being said, I can't actually run the game via the debugger as we have our own built exe. (it crashes on startup....)

7 . Re-open files on launch. Currently a bit annoying remembering where I was. Currently I have a TODO text file. :p

8 . Support for Version control plugins like Perforce. I can add the version control plugins in, but when I close and then re-open the IDE, it wipes the version control values stored in the solution. (I'm guessing this is due to the solution being auto-generated on startup.)

All of the above would be nice, but I can live without them. (I've found work-arounds)
Coordinator
Apr 28, 2013 at 6:51 AM
in Documentation section "How to install Visual Studio Extensions" you can find the way how to extend the IDE. for example you can add SVN support
Apr 29, 2013 at 12:16 AM
Edited May 7, 2013 at 6:28 AM
AlexDev wrote:
in Documentation section "How to install Visual Studio Extensions" you can find the way how to extend the IDE. for example you can add SVN support
Installing the extension is not the problem. As i mentioned above; I can install it.
I use perforce, and after installing the plugin, it completely breaks the auto-generation of the solution/project files. (All the explorers end up empty.)
It simply doesn't work.

EDIT: i should also mention it breaks all the right click menu's (r/click on an item in the solution explorer / file tab)
May 6, 2013 at 7:40 PM
It would also be nice if the IDE could start with the tabs from the previous session opened.